AN EVALUATION OF ANTILOCK SYSTEM PERFORMANCE ON HEAVY DUTY BRAKED COMMERCIAL VEHICLES
Performance test results of heavy duty air braked vehicles equipped with various wheel antilock control systems are presented. These tests compared both the straight-line stopping capability and the limit of lateral stability of vehicles equipped with antilock systems from six manufacturers. In addition, the effects of increasing brake power and brake response time on the performance of wheel antilock systems are discussed. The importance of the results of these tests are discussed in light of the requirements of FMVSS-121.
- This report was presented at a symposium in Ann Arbor, on Commercial Vehicle Braking and Handling.
Highway Safety Research InstituteHuron Parkway and Baxter Road
Ann Arbor, MI USA 48109
- EHLBECK, J M
- Murphy, R W
- Publication Date: 1975
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 27 p.
- TRT Terms: Air brakes; Antilock brake systems; Brakes; Braking performance; Commercial vehicles; Heavy vehicles; Performance tests; Vehicle performance
- Old TRIS Terms: Brake capacity
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00126881
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Highway Safety Research Institute
- Report/Paper Numbers: MVSS 121 Conf Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 14 1976 12:00AM