RESEARCH SAFETY VEHICLE PROGRAM (PHASE I)-VOLUME III. RSV CHARACTERIZATION AND PERFORMANCE SPECIFICATIONS
Vehicle characteristics suitable for an automobile that might be introduced in the mid-1980's are defined under the specific constraint that the curb weight not exceed 3000 lbs. A "family car" configuration (4 to 5 seating positions plus adequate cargo space) is chosen as the representative of an RSV car model line to be studied. Sizing follows from the selected family model and the weight constraint; and configuration is chosen to obtain high packaging efficiency combined with best potential safety gain. The various components of safety and road performance are reviewed in the light of the economic/accident/usage findings of Volume II. Technical specifications are given for the areas of crash avoidance, crash energy management, primary occupant protection, post-crash safety and pedestrian protection. Corresponding criteria and test methodologies are discussed. Guidelines are developed to insure compliance with realistic manufacturing, productibility and construction material requirements suitable for the mid-1980 time frame. The vital role of recovery (recycling) of the constituent materials of automobiles as a vital solution to energy and material resource limitations is emphasized. Finally, cost implications of the RSV are reviewed and placed in proper context.
Calspan Corporation4455 Genesee Street
Buffalo, NY United States 14225
- MILLER, P M
- PUGLIESE, S M
- Ryder, M O
- DuWaldt, F A
- Chesley, S W
- Publication Date: 1975-6
- Features: Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 317 p.
- TRT Terms: Crash investigation; Crashworthiness; Pedestrian safety; Research; Safety vehicles; Size; Trend (Statistics); Vehicle design; Weight
- Old TRIS Terms: Pedestrian protection
- Subject Areas: Design; Highways; Research; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00126864
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Highway Safety Research Institute
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT/HS 801 609 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-4-00838
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 14 1976 12:00AM