ESTIMATION OF SKID NUMBERS FROM SURFACE TEXTURE PARAMETERS IN THE RATIONAL DESIGN OF STANDARD REFERENCE PAVEMENTS FOR TEST EQUIPMENT CALIBRATION
Accurate measurement of highway skid resistance has required the application of appropriate reference standards for the calibration of locked wheel skid trailers (ASTM Test for Skid Resistance of Paved Surface Using a Full-Scale Tire (E 274-70)) used as test equipment. This investigation was concerned with the development of criteria needed for the design of primary standard reference pavement surfaces: A parameteric study of the effect of pavement texture on skid number, comprising laboratory experiments with model pavement surfaces, offers new insight into a solution of the problem.
- Appeared in: Surface Texture Versus Skidding: Measurements, Frictional Aspects, and Safety Features of Tire-Pavement Interactions, A Symposium.
American Society for Testing and Materials100 Barr Harbor Drive, P.O. Box C700
West Conshohocken, PA USA 19428-2957
- Britton, S C
- Ledbetter, W B
- Gallaway, B M
- Publication Date: 1975-7
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 4 p.
- TRT Terms: Calculation; Pavements; Rolling contact; Skid resistance; Skid resistance tests; Surface course (Pavements); Testing equipment; Texture
- Uncontrolled Terms: Computation
- Subject Areas: Highways; Pavements;
- Accession Number: 00126531
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Highway Safety Research Institute
- Report/Paper Numbers: Conf Paper
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-7949
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 18 1975 12:00AM