SURVEY TO DETERMINE THE POTENTIAL FOR IMPROVED RAIL ADVANCED VEHICLE SERVICE. WORK UNIT I. COMMON CARRIER HISTORICAL AND SURVEY DATA
The report presents common carrier historical and survey data developed to evaluate the future market potential for improved highspeed rail passenger service. The data were collected for one long-haul and three short-haul corridors: Chicago-St. Louis; Chicago-Minneapolis/St. Paul; Seattle-Portland; and New York-Florida. The report is organized into four parts. The first three parts are contained in Volume I. Part one discusses the development of historical service, fare, and ridership data for the air, rail, and bus modes for the years 1962 through 1971. The second part describes the design and conduct of the survey of common carrier travelers in the four corridors. The third part describes the computer-based common carrier data base of historical and survey data, and presents selected tabulations of this data.
Peat, Marwick, Mitchell and Company1025 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Washington, DC USA 20036
Federal Railroad Administration1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Prokopy, J C
- Ellis, R H
- Cooney, T A
- Publication Date: 1972-12
- Pagination: 288 p.
- TRT Terms: Common carriers; Fares; Level of service; Market surveys; Operating costs; Public transit; Rapid transit; Revenues; Travel demand; Travel patterns
- Uncontrolled Terms: Services
- Geographic Terms: Florida; New York (State)
- Old TRIS Terms: Consumer relations; Rapid transit railways
- Subject Areas: Finance; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00091556
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-20005
- Files: NTIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 13 1975 12:00AM