A PORTABLE AUTOMATED DATA ACQUISITION SYSTEM FOR MATERIAL HAUL DOCUMENTATION
Existing manual procedures for material haul tickets when payments are by weight involve a considerable amount of manual checking, arithmetic calculations and ticket accountability. The availability of small mini-computers and appropriate input and output devices allowed for the development of a portable, automated data acquisition system which is capable of capturing the data at its source. All of the functions of ticket generation, ticket accountability, material summary reports and checking are accomplished with the system. An additional important feature is that the hardware is small enough to be transported from project to project. Due to its interactive mode of operation, a technician can be trained to use the system in approximately one hour. While cost effectiveness of operating this system depends on the size of the hauling operation and the amount of checking required, the overall benefits of the system are derived from accurate, flexible documentation and the release of skilled technicians for other work. Since the data is captured at its source in a computer environment, remote transmission to a central material control system would minimize subsequent material accounting procedures involved in contractor payments and materials testing.
Texas State Department of Highways & Public TranspP.O. Box 5051
Austin, TX United States 78763
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Merrell, R L
- Publication Date: 1975-2
- Pagination: 70 p.
- TRT Terms: Accounting; Computer programs; Cost effectiveness; Data collection; Freight transportation; Highway transportation; Minicomputers; Portable equipment; Weight measurement
- Identifier Terms: FORTRAN (Computer program language)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Accountability
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo transportation; Input output devices computers
- Subject Areas: Economics; Finance; Freight Transportation; Highways; Society;
- Accession Number: 00091543
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: 1-19-74-179-1F Final Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Aug 13 1975 12:00AM