FAA LIGHTNING PROTECTION REQUIREMENTS FOR MARK III INSTRUMENT LANDING SYSTEM (CATEGORY III)
The withstand capabilities and protection requirements for solid state circuits of the Mark III Instrument Landing System (Cat. III) susceptible to lightning-induced transients on buried control cables are presented. Susceptible circuits and components were identified from the wiring diagrams as transistors, diodes, relay contacts, and electrolytic capacitors. Withstand capabilities of each circuit were determined analytically and experimentally using manufacturer's data and a 1000-volt, 10 x 1000 microsec test waveform. Avalanche diode surge protectors and series resistance are recommended to protect susceptible circuits from lightning-induced transients on buried control cable conductors connected to the circuits.
Rome Air Development CenterGriffiss Air Force Base
Rome, NY United States
Washington, DC United States
- Huddleston, G K
- Bush, G G
- Publication Date: 1975-2
- Pagination: 195 p.
- TRT Terms: Instrument landing systems; Lightning; Protection; Solid state electronics; Suppressors; Transients
- Old TRIS Terms: Transient radiation effects
- Subject Areas: Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00091537
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FA72WAI-356
- Files: NTIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 13 1975 12:00AM