RIVER AND HARBOR AID TO NAVIGATION SYSTEMS (RIHANS), PHASE II-R: EXPERIMENTAL RESOLUTION OF TECHNICAL UNCERTAINTIES
RIHANS Phase II of a precision navigation system for use in rivers and harbors covered the design and construction of equipment and laboratory tests and field demonstrations. The RCA RIHANS approach used active ranging in the S-band of the microwave region. The equipment consisted of two shore stations (Transmitting Equipment, TE) and three interrogators (Position Determining Equipment, PDE). After extensive laboratory testing at the Electromagnetic and Aviation systems Division of the RCA Corporation in Van Nuys, California, the equipment was field tested at the Long Beach harbor area, and then very extensive tests in the Galveston, Texas area. The accuracy of the RIHANS equipment was excellent. Measurements were taken at distances, ranging from 500 yards to 12,147 yards, with consistent results well within the required specifications of plus or minus 3 yards for equipment with a 4 nautical mile range capability. The accuracies exhibited by the RIHAN System demonstrated its ability to operate in a severe multipath condition. The tests also indicated an ability to operate through or near thin structures, such as cranes and ship superstructures.
- See also report dated 6 Apr 72, AD-771 860.
Radio Corporation of AmericaElectromagnetic and Aviation Systems Division
Van Nuys, CA United States
United States Coast Guard2100 Second Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20593
- Browder, J E
- HALL, J
- Anderson, L
- Lyon, J
- Motisher, L
- Publication Date: 1974-8
- Pagination: 213 p.
- TRT Terms: Accuracy; Field tests; Harbors; Position fixing; Radio equipment; Radio navigation; Rivers; Transponders
- Old TRIS Terms: Position finding
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00091533
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-CG-24773-A
- Files: NTIS
- Created Date: Aug 13 1975 12:00AM