PROBABILISTIC INTERFERENCE PREDICTION MODEL-COMPUTER PROGRAMS
The report describes a statistical method for predicting interference between air traffic control frequency assignments in the VHF aeronautical mobile frequency band. This procedure results in a probability of interference representing the statistical chances of interference occurring between two air traffic control sectors operating on co-channel of adjacent channel frequency assignments. The model accounts for both the spatial distribution of the interfering aircraft as well as the statistical nature of voice communications. Two computer programs are described for computing probability of interference given the pertinent geometry of the victim and interfering sectors as well as their air/ground channel utilization figures. One of the computer programs uses Monte-Carlo methods to arrive at the answer while the other solves a deterministic set of equations to obtain an approximate solution at a considerable savings in computer execution time. The report also examines the problem of probability of interference given multiple interfering air traffic control sectors and concludes that for small victim sectors the source of interference is very likely to be one particular interfering sector. Large victim sectors, however, can experience nearly equal interference from more than one sector.
Institute for Telecommunication ScienceOffice of Telecommunications, 325 Broadway
Boulder, CO USA 80302
- Juroshek, J R
- Publication Date: 1975-2
- Pagination: 108 p.
- TRT Terms: Air traffic control; Communication systems; Computer programs; Frequency allocation; Mathematical models; Monte Carlo method; Portable equipment; Probability; Radio; Radio frequency interference; Statistical analysis; Very high frequency
- Geographic Terms: Mobile (Alabama)
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00091531
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FA74WAI-441
- Files: NTIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 13 1975 12:00AM