THE COAL FUTURE. COAL TRANSPORTATION - UNIT TRAINS-SLURRY AND PNEUMATIC PIPELINES. APPENDIX F
As one phase of a comprehensive study grant by the National Science Foundation, coal transportation in unit trains and by pneumatic and slurry pipelines was examined. Appendix F summarizes relative costs. It is concluded that rebuilding an existing roadbed to the highest of standards would produce transportation costs only half those of a new slurry pipeline. Construction of a new railroad is more expensive, but slurry pipelines have not yet solved some of the major problems of water handling and power failure.
- Available also from NTIS, PB-248652/0ST. See also report dated May 75, PB-248063.
Center for Advanced ComputationIllinois University
Urbana, IL USA 61801
- Publication Date: 1975-6
- Pagination: 155 p.
- TRT Terms: Bulk cargo; Coal; Coal industry; Competition; Costs; Economic analysis; Freight traffic; Pipelines; Slurry pipelines; Transportation modes; Unit trains
- Old TRIS Terms: Bulk traffic
- Subject Areas: Economics; Finance; Freight Transportation; Pipelines; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00126431
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: CAC-163-App F Final Rpt., NSF/RA/N-75-037-F
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 5 1976 12:00AM