NOISE DISTURBANCE AND SAFETY IN TRAFFIC
This publication deals with two aspects of noise as found in traffic. In the first section the eight components of the noise emitted by a vehicle in motion are examined. These are due to mechanical vibrations of the engine, structural deformations of the engine, emission of exhaust gases, suction of air, rotation of the fan, gears, tyres and brakes. The cause of each noise component and the way in which it is minimised are described. Detailed specifications are given of vehicle noise measurement and the instruments used by the rome testing centre for motor vehicles. The second section of this work is concerned with the motor horn and its use as a safety device. A brief history is given of the development of these instruments from the pneumatic horn to the present day electropneumatic horn. The work of the motor horns, is described in some detail./TRRL/
Ministry of Transport and Civil Aviation, ItalyViale Policlinico 2
- Publication Date: 1972
- Features: Figures; Photos; Tables;
- Pagination: 131 p.
- TRT Terms: Brakes; Engines; Exhaust gases; Measurement; Noise; Noise control; Tires; Traffic noise
- Old TRIS Terms: Engine noise
- ITRD Terms: 6714: Air; 1057: Air transport network; 6155: Apparatus (measuring); 1361: Brake; 5595: Deformation; 2442: Emission; 1366: Horn; 6136: Measurement; 1334: Motor; 9050: Moving; 1665: Safety; 6748: Sound; 5771: Suction; 755: Traffic; 1381: Tyre; 5558: Vibration
- Subject Areas: Environment; Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00126344
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport and Road Research Laboratory (TRRL)
- Report/Paper Numbers: R&D Rept.
- Files: ITRD, TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 21 1976 12:00AM