MANEUVERABILITY OF HEAVY VEHICLE COMBINATIONS
MANOEVERUTRYMMESBEHOV HOS LAANGA FORDONSKOMBINATIONER
The investigation deals with the increased space required on sharp curves at low speed. An overview of international legislation concerning low speed manoeuvrability is presented. The second part gives a statistical picture of the numbers of different types of long vehicle combinations in Sweden. The third part deals with the relation between available and required manoeuvring space in a number of typical traffic situations for the following vehicle combinations: 1) truck and full trailer 2) truck and two full trailers 3) tractor and semitrailer 4) tractor, semitrailer and full trailer. The studies were carried out partly by mathematical calculation, partly by means of model tests. A proposal for regulations concerning low speed manaeuvrability is given, based on the findings in the investigation: The proposed regulation contains a circle driving test with an outer diameter of 15 M, an inner diameter of 7.3 M and a maximum offset of 0.5 M from the tangent along which the vehicle enters the circle.
Swedish National Road and Traffic Research InstituteDrottning Kristinas Vaeg 25
S-11428 Stockholm, Sweden
- NORDSTROEM, O
- Eldrot, D
- Publication Date: 1974
- Features: Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 98 p.
- TRT Terms: Calculation; Curves (Geometry); Length; Maneuverability; Mathematical models; Vehicles
- Uncontrolled Terms: Articulated vehicles; Computation; Models
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00126330
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport and Road Research Laboratory (TRRL)
- Report/Paper Numbers: NR 51 R&D Rept.
- Files: ITRD, TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 21 1976 12:00AM