AN OIL SLICK SAMPLING SYSTEM

An oil slick sampling system has been developed for routine sampling of oil spills for identification purposes. The system can effectively sample all types of oil spills, collecting enough sample for analysis by several analytical techniques. In 80% of the spills sampled, the system collected sufficient oil for analysis by fluorescence and infrared spectroscopic and thin layer and gas chromatographic techniques. In the remaining 20% the system collected sufficient oil for at least two of the above-mentioned techniques. The developed system is lightweight, compact and inexpensive.

  • Corporate Authors:

    United States Coast Guard

    Research and Development Center, 1082 Shennecossett Road
    Groton, CT  United States  06340-6096
  • Authors:
    • Fortier, S H
    • Jadamec, J R
  • Publication Date: 1974-12

Media Info

  • Pagination: 20 p.

Subject/Index Terms

Filing Info

  • Accession Number: 00126034
  • Record Type: Publication
  • Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
  • Report/Paper Numbers: CGR/DC-38/74 Final Rpt., USCG-D-71-75
  • Files: TRIS
  • Created Date: Oct 18 1975 12:00AM