TRENDS IN DIESEL ENGINE LUBRICANTS-1. CRANKCASE OILS FOR MEDIUM AND HIGH SPEED ENGINES
This paper describes the trends in crankcase lubricants for medium and high speed diesels widely used in marine, railroad, vehicular and stationary applications in the western hemisphere. The builder and user requirements, laboratory evaluation and field studies are discussed. The newest crankcase oils for medium speed engines (Class III) are "third generation" products with high TBN and improved detergency. They have shown improved wear protection, less engine deposits and better alkalinity retention than the older products in severe service. An interesting development for the high speed engines is the universal-type oil.
- Prepared for meeting 6-10 April 1975.
American Society of Mechanical EngineersTwo Park Avenue
New York, NY USA 10016-5990
- Younghouse, E C
- Steere, D E
- Lowe, F W
- Publication Date: 1975-4
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 13 p.
- TRT Terms: Diesel engines; Lubricating oils; Spectrographic analysis; Tests; Vehicle maintenance; Wear
- Old TRIS Terms: Diesel engine maintenance
- Subject Areas: Maintenance and Preservation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00125822
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: 75-DGP-17 Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 18 1975 12:00AM