REINFORCED (GLASS) PLASTIC COMPONENTS FOR RAPID TRANSIT CARS
This paper describes the procedure for the production of fiberglass reinforced polyester exterior and interior components for use in mass transportation and people-mover vehicles. The major emphasis of this presentation deals with describing the preparation of Skybus-type front ends and interiors. The paper covers the design and production of the wood patterns, finishing of the patterns, preparation of the production molds from fiberglass and polyester resins and the production of finished gel-coated exterior and interior components using hand lay-up and spray-up techniques. The sizes of these exterior and interior components range from eight to ten feet in width and height, constituting a very large production piece. Special jigs and holding fixtures are used in handling the components during the various stages of their production.
- Presented at a meeting held in Washington, D.C., February 4-7, 1975.
Society of the Plastics Industry250 Park Avenue
New York, NY United States 10017
- Fekete, F
- Thrash, D J
- Publication Date: 1975
- Pagination: 6 p.
- TRT Terms: Glass fiber reinforced plastics; Plastics; Polymers; Rapid transit cars; Vehicle design
- Old TRIS Terms: Car component design
- Subject Areas: Design; Public Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00125791
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 18 1981 12:00AM