EARTHWORKS COMPACTION - IN-DEPTH EFFICIENCY OF THREE VIBRATORY ROLLERS
COMPACTAGE DES TERRASSEMENTS - EFFICACITE EN PROFONDEUR DE TROIS ROULEAUX VIBRANTS
The authors recall the increase of use of vibratory compaction equipment in the construction of pavements and in earthworks. One of the advantages of this type of equipment is in-depth efficiency. In order to control this efficiency of vibratory rollers on thick layers, tests were conducted in test pits at the road research centre in rouen. These tests were carried out on 4 embankment materials: silt with low plasticity (approximately ip 8%), clean 0/50 gravel, 0/50 silty gravel, and loosely graded sand, laid over A thickness of 110 cm. These materials have been subjected to bulking and were compacted with three heavy vibratory rollers: abg saw 185 (towed), duomat r 221 (duplex), sismopactor 850 albaret (non-tandem self-propelled). The results showed that it is possible to compact some earthworks materials in thick layers, but materials and equipment play an important part in the quality of compaction. The overall results show that is obtain satisfactory compaction of the lower part of thick or average layers, it was necessary (1) to apply stresses adapted to the compaction of the material and, (2) to apply those stresses under such conditions that they reach the lowest depth possible.
Laboratoire Central des Ponts et Chausees (LCPC)Boulevard Lefebvre 58
Paris Cedex 15, France F-75732
- Cahigne, P
- Leflaive, E
- Oczkowski, J
- Franceschina, R
- Morel, G
- Quibel, A
- Publication Date: 1973-2
- Features: Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 120 p.
- TRT Terms: Compaction; Density; Depth; Earthwork; Economic efficiency; Gravel; Moisture content; Rollers; Sand; Silts; Thickness; Vibratory equipment
- Uncontrolled Terms: Efficiency; Vibratory rollers
- ITRD Terms: 3686: Compaction; 5908: Density; 6499: Depth; 3653: Earthworks; 5911: Efficiency; 2801: Embankment; 4575: Gravel; 2952: Layer; 4555: Material (constr); 6200: Particle size distribution; 8559: Research report; 4105: Sand; 4149: Silt; 6255: Test; 5933: Thickness; 3692: Vibrating roller
- Subject Areas: Economics; Geotechnology; Highways; I51: Earthworks and Soil Drainage;
- Accession Number: 00125319
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Laboratoire Central des Ponts et Chausees (LCPC)
- Report/Paper Numbers: No. 24 R&D Rept.
- Files: ITRD, TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 3 1975 12:00AM