This technical information note contains guidelines for the design and construction of reinforced earth structures. It shows clearly the process of evolution of the subject where research is still being carried out on the durability of the structures and the selection of embankment materials. More precise recommendations will be published at a later date. The process, which has been patented, is used in france exclusively by the societe de la terre armee (reinforced earth society). This document, based on the knowledge gained by the laboratoires des ponts et chaussees (bridge and highway laboratories) in the field of reinforced earth, aims at defining the possibilities and conditions of use of this new technique. The following subjects are dealt with: principle; - technology; - design; - execution of the works; - fields of use. Use. The widest application of the technique is in the field of retaining structures. Reinforced earth masses, behaving like heavy and flexible structures can replace conventional structures such as retaining walls, quay walls, bridge abutments, etc. This can sometimes lead to large savings. Sometimes, because of its great flexibility, reinforced earth technique is the only technique useable. The main rules outlined in this note could be extended to other structures such as foundations and arches. /TRRL/
- Note d'Information Technique.
Laboratoire Central des Ponts et Chausees (LCPC)Boulevard Lefebvre 58
Paris Cedex 15, France F-75732
- SCHLOSSER, F
- Publication Date: 1973-4
- Features: Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 23 p.
- TRT Terms: Bridge abutments; Construction; Design; Durability; Embankments; Foundations; Mechanically stabilized earth; Reinforcement (Engineering); Retaining walls; Utilization
- Uncontrolled Terms: Use
- ITRD Terms: 7168: Aluminium; 3686: Compaction; 3666: Construction method; 5252: Corrosion; 9011: Design (overall design); 9013: Development; 2937: Drainage; 5910: Durability; 2801: Embankment; 3377: Foundation; 3623: Laying; 4794: Reinforced concrete; 3349: Reinforced earth; 3471: Reinforcement (in mater); 3359: Retaining wall; 5792: Settlement; 4156: Soil; 5930: Stability; 4542: Steel; 2950: Subgrade; 8119: United kingdom; 9084: Use
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Construction; Design; Geotechnology; Highways; Research; I24: Design of Bridges and Retaining Walls; I53: Construction of Bridges and Retaining Walls;
- Accession Number: 00125301
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Laboratoire Central des Ponts et Chausees (LCPC)
- Report/Paper Numbers: R&D Rept.
- Files: ITRD, TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 3 1975 12:00AM