NONLINEAR SOIL-STRUCTURE INTERACTION OF SKEW HIGHWAY BRIDGES
Presented in this report is a study of the behavior of short, skew highway bridges interacting with their surrounding soils during strong motion earthquakes. The first part of the study defines a three-dimensional, nonlinear mathematical model for the complete bridge-soil system while the second part develops the associated computer program for carrying out time-history dynamic response analysis. The mathematical model consists of (1) linear, elastic, three-dimensional solid finite elements representing backfill soils and abutment walls, (2) linear, elastic prismatic beam elements representing the bridge deck, pier columns, and pier caps, (3) nonlinear friction elements representing the discontinuous behavior of separation, impact, and slippage at the interfaces between backfills and abutment walls, and (4) discrete translational and rotational linear springs representing foundation flexibilities at the bases of supporting columns. In developing the computer program for time-history dynamic response analysis, considerable effort was spent in achieving computational efficiency. Special programming techniques including the use of matrix reduction procedures, iteration procedures, and variable time steps were used.
- Report on an Investigation of the Effectiveness of Existing Bridge Design Methodology in Providing Adequate Structural Resistance to Seismic Disturbances.
University of California, BerkeleyPacific Earthquake Engineering Research Center
Richmond Field Station
Richmond, CA USA 94804
Washington, DC USA 20590
National Science Foundation1800 G Street, NW
Washington, DC USA 20550
- Chen, M
- Penzien, J
- Publication Date: 1977-8
- Pagination: 127 p.
- TRT Terms: Abutments; Backfilling; Bridge decks; Bridge design; Bridge piers; Bridges; Computer programs; Dynamic loads; Dynamics; Earth movements (Geophysics); Earthquakes; Finite element method; Friction; Interfaces; Mathematical models; Nonlinear systems; Skew bridges; Soils; Structural design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Dynamic response; Earth movements; Nonlinearity; Soil dynamics
- Old TRIS Terms: Backfills
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Geotechnology; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00117489
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UCB/EERC-77/24
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 29 1978 12:00AM