TRANSPORT OF SOLID COMMODITIES VIA FREIGHT PIPELINE. VOLUME III. COST ESTIMATING METHODOLOGY. PART A AND PART B
In order to examine the feasibility of an intercity freight pipeline, it was necessary to develop cost equations for various competing transportation modes. This volume presents cost estimating equations for rail carload, trailer-on-flatcar, truck, and freight pipeline. Section A presents mathematical equations which approximate the fully allocated and variable costs contained in the Interstate Commerce Commission (ICC) cost tables for rail carload, trailer-on-flatcar (TOFC) and truck common carrier inter-city freight movements. These equations were developed to enable the user to approximate the ICC costs quickly and easily. They should find use in initial studies of costs where exact values are not needed, such as in consideration of rate changes, studies of profitability, and in general inter-modal comparisons. Section B discusses the development of a set of engineering cost equations for pneumo-capsule pipeline. The development was based on an analysis of system components and can readily be extended to other types of pipeline. The model was developed for the purpose of a feasibility study. It employs a limited number of generalized parameters and its use is recommended when sufficient detailed and specific engineering information is lacking.
- See also PB-276144, RRIS 11 117483, Bulletin 7802. Also available in set of 5 reports PC E11, PB-276 144-SET.
Laboratorio de Acoustica e SonicaSao Paulo, Brazil
Department of TransportationOffice of University Research, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC USA 20590
- WARNER, J A
- Morlok, E K
- Gimm, K K
- Zandi, I
- Publication Date: 1976-7
- Pagination: 121 p.
- TRT Terms: Alternatives analysis; Analysis; Capsule pipelines; Competition; Computer programs; Conveyors; Cost estimating; Costs; Demand; Estimates; Feasibility analysis; Freight traffic; Freight transportation; Hydraulic equipment; Intelligent transportation systems; Mathematical models; Motor carriers; Piggyback transportation; Pipeline transportation; Pipelines; Pneumatic conveyors; Rates; Slurry; Technology assessment; Transportation modes
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis; Freight rates
- Old TRIS Terms: Advanced systems; Cargo transportation; Hydraulic conveyors; Slurries
- Subject Areas: Finance; Freight Transportation; Motor Carriers; Operations and Traffic Management; Pipelines; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00117486
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TST-76T/37, Final Report
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-50119
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 29 2002 12:00AM