TRANSPORT OF SOLID COMMODITIES VIA FREIGHT PIPELINE. VOLUME II. FREIGHT PIPELINE TECHNOLOGY
The purpose of this report is to provide a general assessment of the current state of the art in freight pipeline technology. A preliminary feasibility study was undertaken to evaluate the potential of applying this technology, as an innovation in providing freight transportation services. Topics discussed in the report include the following: Historical background; General pipeline systems information; Calculation of energy requirements; System characteristics; Overview of the future. The scope of the research on which this report is based, was limited to those classes of generic pipeline technologies that are relevant for transporting solid products via freight pipelines. For this reason, the discussion in this report does not include oil, gas, or water pipelines which are already well established technologies.
- See also PB-276144, RRIS 11 117483, Bulletin 7802. Also available in set of 5 reports PC E11, PB-276 144-SET.
University of Pennsylvania, PhiladelphiaDepartment of Civil and Urban Engineering
Philadelphia, PA United States 19104
Department of TransportationOffice of University Research, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Zandi, I
- Gimm, K K
- Publication Date: 1976-7
- Pagination: 79 p.
- TRT Terms: Alternatives analysis; Capsule pipelines; Competition; Conveyors; Cost estimating; Costs; Demand; Energy consumption; Estimates; Feasibility analysis; Forecasting; Freight traffic; Freight transportation; Hydraulic equipment; Intelligent transportation systems; Intercity transportation; Pipeline transportation; Pipelines; Pneumatic conveyors; Slurry; Technology assessment; Traffic forecasting; Transportation modes
- Old TRIS Terms: Advanced systems; Cargo transportation; Energy requirements; Hydraulic conveyors; Slurries
- Subject Areas: Energy; Finance; Freight Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management; Pipelines; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00117485
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TST-76T/36 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-50119
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 29 1978 12:00AM