TRANSPORT OF SOLID COMMODITIES VIA FREIGHT PIPELINE. VOLUME I. COST AND LEVEL OF SERVICE COMPARISON
This report describes findings of research performed during the first year of work under the Contract. The purpose of the first year of research was to evaluate the technical and economic feasibility of freight pipeline as an intercity transportation mode. The report for the first year consists of the following five separate volumes: Cost and level of service comparison; Freight pipeline technology; Cost estimating methodology; Demand analysis methodology; Impact assessment. Volume 1 considers methodology of analysis, cost comparison, the demand for freight pipeline, and major conclusions. The second year of research currently is being devoted to sharpening the concepts, broadening the areas of concern, and applying the tools of analysis developed in the first year to a specific origin-destination transportation corridor.
- See also PB-276144, RRIS 11 117483, Bulletin 7802. Also available in set of 5 reports PC E11, PB-276 144-SET.
University of Pennsylvania, PhiladelphiaDepartment of Civil and Urban Engineering
Philadelphia, PA USA 19104
Department of TransportationOffice of University Research, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Zandi, I
- Allen, W B
- Morlok, E K
- Gimm, K K
- Plaut, T
- Publication Date: 1976-7
- Pagination: 57 p.
- TRT Terms: Alternatives analysis; Analysis; Capsule pipelines; Competition; Conveyors; Cost estimating; Costs; Demand; Estimates; Feasibility analysis; Forecasting; Freight traffic; Freight transportation; Hydraulic equipment; Intelligent transportation systems; Intercity transportation; Pipeline transportation; Pipelines; Pneumatic conveyors; Slurry; Technology assessment; Traffic forecasting; Transportation modes
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Advanced systems; Analytical techniques; Cargo transportation; Hydraulic conveyors; Slurries
- Subject Areas: Finance; Freight Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management; Pipelines; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00117484
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TST-76T/35 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-50119
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 29 1978 12:00AM