CONTRIBUTIONS OF URBAN ROADWAY USAGE TO WATER POLLUTION
Street surface contaminants are deposited on roadways from many sources within an urban area. Industrial operations, land use activities, fallout of air pollutants, roadway usage and other activities contribute to the loading of particulates on urban roadways. These materials are then carried into receiving waters by storm runoff where they constitute a substantial portion of the overall water pollution problems of cities. Metropolitan Washington, D.C. with its low background of industrial emissions, was the area chosen for study of contributions of motor vehicle usage to urban roadway loading factors. Specific roadway study sites within this area were selected so as to provide minimal interference from nontraffic-related land use activities and thus isolate, as much as possible, the traffic-related depositions. Motor vehicular traffic is directly or indirectly reponsible for deposition of substantial quantities of materials on roadways in urban areas. Significant levels of toxic heavy metals and asbestos and slowly biodegradable petroleum products and rubber are deposited directly from motor vehicles along with large quantities of particulate materials contributed indirectly by traffic. The particulates contributed indirectly by traffic are largely inorganic, but have associated with them solids and nutrients which represent a serious source of water pollutants in all metropolitan areas.
Environmental Protection AgencyOffice of Research and Development
Cincinnati, OH USA 45268
Biospherics, Incorporated4928 Wyaconda Road
Rockville, MD USA 20852
- Shaheen, D G
- Publication Date: 1975-4
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 358 p.
- TRT Terms: Contaminants; Exhaust gases; Fallout; Highway traffic; Highway travel; Land use; Particulates; Runoff; Urban areas; Urban highways; Water pollution
- Old TRIS Terms: Vehicular traffic
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways; Hydraulics and Hydrology;
- Accession Number: 00099893
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: EPA-600/2-75-004 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: EPA-68-01-0197
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 30 1976 12:00AM