GOODS TRANSPORTATION IN URBAN AREAS
A five-day conference to explore issues in urban goods movement was organized by representatives of the American Society of Civil Engineers, Highway Research Board, Institute of Traffic Engineers, and the U.S. Department of Transportation. Five areas were studied and reported by Probe Groups, namely (1) urban goods movement considerations in urban transportation planning, (2) use of local regulatory and police power in facilitating goods movements, (3) freight terminal relocation, (4) issues in urban rail relocation, and (5) consolidation of pickup and delivery services. Each Probe Group report presents recommendations for action to improve urban goods movement. Eleven keynote, summary, and resource papers are presented covering such topics as Federal, State, and local programs for goods movement facilitation; terminal location and consolidation; improvement of intermodal transfer; regulation; and energy requirements for trucking. Five case studies describe ongoing regional programs in Dallas-Fort Worth, St. Louis, New England (Boston and Maine Railroad regional impact), northern New Jersey, and the New York City Garment Center.
- Proceedings of the Engineering Foundation Conference, Academy, So. Berwick, Me., August 5-10, 1973. Sponsored by the Department of Transportation Federal Highway Administration.
Engineering Foundation Conferences347 East 47th Street
New York, NY United States 10017
- Publication Date: 1974-2
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 415 p.
- TRT Terms: Freight service; Freight terminals; Intermodal terminals; Land use; Railroad facilities; Regulations; Relocation (Facilities); Transportation planning; Urban areas; Urban transportation
- Old TRIS Terms: Government regulations; Urban railroad relocation
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Law; Public Transportation; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00099843
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA32-01-23(RFP379)Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 18 1981 12:00AM