ANALYSIS OF RAILROAD CAR TRUCK AND WHEEL FATIGUE. PART I - SERVICE LOAD DATA AND PROCEDURES FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF FATIGUE PERFORMANCE CRITERIA
The development of fatigue performance standards for freight car truck components and wheels requires a knowledge of the fluctuation service load environment, and a basis for stating the conservatism of the design with respect to the environment. On this program special emphasis was given to determining the load environment by analyzing data from 53 test runs conducted on the Erie Branch test track of the Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad. A number of test parameters were varied, such as speed, type of truck, modifications to the suspension system, etc., to determine those parameters having the greatest influence on the severity of the load. Vertical loads were measured at the side-frame-pedestal/roller-bearing-adapter interface and lateral loads were determined at the wheel/rail interface. The cyclic load data are summarized in a series of load spectra. Factors which must be considered in the development of fatigue performance standards from these spectra include reliability goals, the statistical spread of both load and fatigue strength data, and the philosophy followed in the design of the truck itself.
- Sponsored by Federal Railroad Administration and under contract from Transportation Systems Center.
IIT Research Institute10 West 35th Street
Chicago, IL USA 60616
Washington, DC USA 20590
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA USA 02142
- Johnson, M R
- Publication Date: 1975-5
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 146 p.
- TRT Terms: Car wheels (Railroads); Design; Dynamic tests; Dynamics; Force; Impact loads; Rail (Railroads); Suspension systems; Train track dynamics; Trucks; Vehicle design; Wheels
- Uncontrolled Terms: Design criteria; Dynamic analysis; Fatigue analysis; Vertical dynamics
- Old TRIS Terms: Impact loading; Wheel design
- Subject Areas: Design; Motor Carriers; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00099842
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA-OR&D-75-68 Intrm Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-727
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 18 1976 12:00AM