This manual contains information intended for readers with no specific economic background to facilitate the application of complex economic forecasting techniques. The first part of the manual defines the objectives that can be assigned to forecasting in the short and long term, and gives notions of the factors to be taken into account for forecasting and decision-making. The second part contains a critical appraisal of the methods currently employed which fall into three categories: (1) trend methods; (2) voluntaristic methods; and (3) subjective methods. Eight appendices refer to a few of the mathematical tools used for statistics and some forecasting study models, in particular the "price-time" model for research into competition between railways and aviation.
International Union of RailwaysGeneral Secretariat
75015 Paris, France
- Publication Date: 1974
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 80 p.
- TRT Terms: Decision making; Economic forecasting; Economics; Forecasting; Mathematical models
- Subject Areas: Economics; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00099761
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: International Railway Documentation, Selection of
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 18 1975 12:00AM