WATER QUALITY MANAGEMENT PLANNING FOR URBAN RUNOFF
The manual is designed to provide technical assistance to state and local water quality management planners to enable them to quantify within resonable limits the urban non-point water polution problem in a local planning area without extensive data generation, and make a preliminary evaluation of cost effective abatement and control practices. Procedures are prescribed for several levels of input, each requiring more self-generated data, with increasingly sophisticated results. The manual provides a guide to data generation for abatement design, and includes a state-of-the-art and an extensive bibliography on urban storm water runoff. The manual contains five principal sections: (1) the section on the assessment of urban runoff quantity and quality, provides analytical procedures to predict quality, quantity and rate of runoff resulting from street surface contaminant removal by specified storm events; (2) example problems are presented to demonstrate the concepts and analytical procedures; (3) the section on miscellaneous sources of urban runoff polution considers sources of runoff such as urban irrigation and snowmelt; (4) methods for treatment, abatement and ultimate disposal of urban runoff are discussed and general criteria are provided for an evaluation of the water pollution potential of urban runoff; (5) the state-of-the-art section provides background information regarding major relevant studies conducted in numerous geographical locations since 1936. Emphasis is, however, placed upon recent studies.
Environmental Protection AgencyOffice of Water Planning and Standards, 401 M Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20460
- Publication Date: 1974-12
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 220 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Bibliographies; Cost effectiveness; Design; Drainage; Forecasting; Information processing; Irrigation; Local government agencies; Manuals; Planning; Pollution control; Runoff; Snowmelt; State of the art studies; Urban areas; Water control; Water pollution; Water quality
- Uncontrolled Terms: Abatement; Local agencies
- Subject Areas: Design; Highways; Hydraulics and Hydrology; Planning and Forecasting;
- Accession Number: 00099757
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: EPA 440/9-75-004
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 18 1975 12:00AM