LOS ANGELES'S DREAM BUS MAINTENANCE SHOP
Southern California Rapid Transit District will open its $52-million bus maintenance shop in December 1986, concentrating there the heavy repairs for its fleet which numbers 2,775 units. Because SCRTD has a varied fleet, the new Central Maintenance Facility (CMF) will have the capability to handle almost any type, model or size of bus, performing work from washing to complete overhaul. The 14 SCRTD operating regions wil continue to do routine maintenance but will transfer buses to CMF for engine and transmission overhauls and other major work, including body repairs and painting. The site, in the downtown Los Angeles area, is near to the hub of the region's freeway system for easy access to all the smaller maintenance facilities. Five large buildings are going up. Building 1 will have 21 stations for power train and transmission work and 11 stations for transmission assembly. Building 3 has bays capable of holding 46 buses for frame and body work and 43 bays for other operations. Building 4 is the stores depot which will have an automatic stocking and retrieval system for handling 28,000 items weekly. Building 5, the paint shop, will strip, sand, paint and dry 2 buses simultaneously; the robot painting system is a major renovation. SCRTD expects an immediate 10 percent increase in productivity, coupled with the capacity to handle a growing bus fleet. The computerized management information system for maintenance, TRANSMIS, will be concentrated in the shop.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/oclc/1794668
Carter (C Carroll)538 National Press Building
Washington, DC United States 20004
- Publication Date: 1986-4
- Pagination: 4 p.
- TRT Terms: Buses; Diesel engines; Inventory; Maintenance facilities; Maintenance management; Management information systems; Painting; Rehabilitation (Maintenance); Repairing; Shopping facilities; Transmissions; Vehicle maintenance
- Uncontrolled Terms: Bus maintenance; Repairs
- Old TRIS Terms: Overhaul
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Public Transportation; Terminals and Facilities; Vehicles and Equipment; I90: Vehicles;
- Accession Number: 00455031
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 31 1988 12:00AM