NBS PAPERS ON UNDERGROUND CORROSION OF STEEL PILING 1962-1971
This monograph is a collection of published papers on underground corrosion of steel piling. The papers are as follows: (1) Romanoff, Melvin, Corrosion of Steel Pilings in Soils, Nat. Bur. Stand. (U.S), Monogr. 58, (Oct. 1962); (2) Romanoff, Melvin, Corrosion Evaluation of Steel Test Piles Exposed to Permafrost Soils, Proceedings 25th Conference, National Association of Corrosion Engineers, page 6 (March 1969); (3) Romanoff, Melvin, Performance of Steel Pilings in Soils, Proceedings 25th Conference, National Association of Corrosion Engineers, page 14 (March 1969); and (4) Schwerdtfeger, W.J., Polarization Measurements as Related To Corrosion of Underground Steel Piling, J. Res. Nat. Bur. Stand. (U.S.), 75C (Eng. and Instr.) No. 2, 107-121 (April-June 1971). The papers describe corrosion of various types of steel piling exposed underground in the United States under climatic conditions ranging from semi-tropical to frigid. Corrosion is described on driven piling above and below the water table after many years of exposure in soils having resistivities between 78 and 50,000 ohm-cm and ranging in pH from 2.3 to 8.8. One of the papers demonstrates the value of a polarization technique in measuring corrosion. Polarization data were obtained on weighed steel pipe specimens exposed underground for seven years in backfilled soil trenches in the vicinity of driven sheet piling. The technique was evaluated by comparing calculated cumulative weight losses of specimens with their actual weight losses. The technique was also shown to be applicable to underground pipe piling.
- Supersedes NBS Monograph 58.
National Bureau of StandardsOffice of Technical Publications
Washington, DC United States 20234
American Iron and Steel Institute1000 16th Street, NW
Washington, DC United States 20036
- Schwerdtfeger, W J
- Romanoff, M
- Publication Date: 1972-3
- Features: Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 63 p.
- NBS Monograph
- Publisher: National Bureau of Standards
- TRT Terms: Corrosion; Measurement; Permafrost; pH value; Piles (Supports); Pipe; Polarization; Steel; Underground structures
- Uncontrolled Terms: Pipe piles; Soil resistivity; Steel piling
- Old TRIS Terms: Underground corrosion
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Geotechnology; Highways; Materials; I34: Steels and Metals;
- Accession Number: 00453752
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: NBS-MN-127
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 31 1986 12:00AM