PERFORMANCE AND KNOCK LIMITS OF ETHANOL-GASOLINE BLENDS IN SPARK-IGNITED ENGINES
Ethanol-gasoline blends have been investigated as a spark-ignition engine fuel. The work was carried out on a Ricardo E6 variable compression engine in which all the significant operating parameters can be varied and accurately measured including onset of knock. Various blends were used (10 to 70% ethanol by volume) and the effects of mixture strength, ignition timing and speed on the highest useful compression ratio were accurately defined. Borderline road test data were evaluated using information on reference fuels and the required performance of the automatic spark advance mechanism was deduced. The results revealed that higher concentration of ethanol in the blend greatly enhances knock resistance. A blend of 50% gasoline and 50% ethanol produced the highest output in both the rich and lean mixture regions. The performance of the automatic spark advance mechanism was found to vary considerably with various blends and mixture strengths. The sensitivity of optimum power attainment to ignition timing and mixture strength was illustrated. Also the saving in mechanical octanes was put forward.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/01487191
- International Congress and Exposition, Detroit, Michigan, February 25-March 1, 1985.
Warrendale, PA United States 15096
- Radwan, M S
- Publication Date: 1985
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 6 p.
- TRT Terms: Accuracy; Compression; Engine knock; Engine performance; Ethanol; Gasohol; Measurement; Mixtures; Octane number; Road tests; Spark ignition engines; Speed; Strength of materials
- Uncontrolled Terms: Ignition timing
- Old TRIS Terms: Compression ratio; Mixture strength; Octane rating; Test results
- Subject Areas: Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00450924
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE 850213, HS-038 968
- Files: HSL, USDOT
- Created Date: Dec 31 1985 12:00AM