MOTOR VEHICLE DEPARTMENT ANNUAL REPORT FOR THE FISCAL YEAR 1983/84
This publication presents a review of the wide range of vehicle or driver related programs administered by the Motor Vehicle Department of British Columbia for fiscal year 1983/84. The most significant change implemented in 1983 was cancellation of the mandatory vehicle inspection program carried out through the Department's inspection stations located in the metropolitan Vancouver area, Victoria and Nanaimo. A new mandate was developed which will see a province-wide inspection program with emphasis placed on commercial vehicles. The license/permit sales program saw withdrawal of services by all Government Agents, except in a few cities, and expansion of the authority granted to Autoplan Insurance Agents. Changes to the weigh scale operation included closure of the Ruskin Weigh Scale and operation of other low volume scales on a random basis only. A British Columbia firm was contracted to manufacture number plates. A project was begun to implement an on-line automated driver's license system by January 1985. The development of legislation on the transport of dangerous goods proceeded in conjuction with the Federal Government. Driver control remains a high priority, with particular emphasis on the alcohol involvement problem. The vehicle accident reporting system was restructured using state-of-the-art technology.
British Columbia Ministry of Transportation & HwysMotor Vehicle Branch, Superintendent's Office
Victoria V8T 5AE, BC Canada
- Publication Date: 1985
- Pagination: n.p.
- TRT Terms: Automation; Computers; Crash reports; Driver licenses; Driver licensing; Drunk driving; Hazardous materials; Inspection; Laws; Legislation; License plates; Manufacturing; Motor vehicles; Weigh stations
- Old TRIS Terms: Motor vehicle laws & regulations; On line computers; Weight stations
- Subject Areas: Highways; Law; Safety and Human Factors; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00452373
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: HS-038 778
- Files: HSL, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 31 1986 12:00AM