SEPTA TECHNICAL STUDY PROGRAM TASK #1 NORTHEAST BUS DEPOT LOCATION STUDY
This document is the final report of the Northeast Bus Depot Location Study, which was done to examine the need for a new garage in the northeast section of Philadelphia and develop a methodology for site selection and acquisition for a site for a new bus garage. The work progam included determination of the required capacity, selection of a variety of acceptable locations and the development of the preliminary operational, economic, environmental and community impacts of each site. The Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) has been operating all its bus routes in northeast Philadelphia and lower Bucks County from two garages at Frankford and Bridge streets and at Penn and Comly streets. Both these facilities are grossly inadequate in area and are inefficient as maintenance and service locations. It has been determined that a new bus maintenance and storage facility in the northeast section of Philadelphia is essential to meet the increased ridership generated by the residential and industrial growth in the region. Space requirements for the proposed depot are given for transportation offices, bus storage and circulation, maintenance administration, maintenance supply areas, repair areas, inspection areas, service areas, building support areas, and auxiliary vehicles storage. A study chronology is provided, including the steps that led to concluding recommendations for 3 additional sites after 19 were reviewed; the chronology extends from November 1979 to March 1984. The chronology points out the difficult task of obtaining community agreement on public transit facility location and design; the study has been valuable to SEPTA in providing knowledge about community psychology and dynamics. With graphics, maps, and aerial photos.
- Funded under Section 8 of the UMT Act of 1964, as amended.
Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority2028 PSFS Building, 12 South 12th Street
Philadelphia, PA United States 19107
- Publication Date: 1984-8
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: v.p.
- TRT Terms: Bus garages; Economic impacts; Environmental impacts; History; Operations; Reports; Social impacts
- Identifier Terms: Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority
- Uncontrolled Terms: Site investigation
- Old TRIS Terms: Community consequences; Operational effects; Umta section 8
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Economics; Environment; History; Maintenance and Preservation; Public Transportation; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00451489
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-PA-09-0067-85-1Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DVRPC 04-26
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 30 1985 12:00AM