TWO-TEMPERATURE VAPOR LOCK AND HIGH-TEMPERATURE DRIVEABILITY PERFORMANCE OF 1982 PASSENGER VEHICLES
The 1982 CRC High-Temperature Driveability Program was conducted at the US Army Proving Grounds near Yuma, Arizona, from September 20 through October 19, 1982, at nominal ambient temperatures of 70 deg F (21.1 deg C) and 95 deg F (35 deg C). CRC has conducted previous programs for the evaluation of vapor lock and hot start and driveability of 1971 and 1975 model passenger cars. Since 1975, vehicle designs have changed rapidly to meet more stringent exhaust emissions and fuel economy standards. These changes may effect vehicle high-temperature performance. The 1982 CRC High-Temperature Driveability Program investigated the effort of such changes on vapor lock performance of nineteen 1982 passenger vehicles at nominal temperatures of 70 deg F (21 deg C) and 95 deg F (35 deg C). The two-temperature vapor lock evaluation was used in updating ambient temperture corrections of volatility over a range of temperature from 70 deg F (21 deg C) to 95 deg F (35 deg C). Hot-start and driveability performance was evaluated at a nominal 95 deg F (35 deg C) temperature by two test procedures. A new city driveability procedure emphasized conditions that could cause performance problems encountered in heavy stop-and-go traffic after a period of temperature stabilization. Selected vehicles were also evaluated using the CRC Hot-Start and Driveability Procedure.
- Prepared by the 1982 Analysis Panel of the CRC Volatility Group, CRC Project No. CM-118-82.
Coordinating Research Council, Incorporated219 Perimeter Center Parkway
Atlanta, GA United States 30346
- Publication Date: 1984-12
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: v.p.
- TRT Terms: Automobiles; Driveability; High temperature; Hot starts (Driving); Stopping; Traffic characteristics; Traffic congestion; Vehicle design; Vehicle performance
- Old TRIS Terms: Hot start; Stop and go; Two-temperature vapor lock
- Subject Areas: Design; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Vehicles and Equipment; I91: Vehicle Design and Safety;
- Accession Number: 00450933
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: CRC 538, HS-038 977
- Files: HSL, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Dec 31 1985 12:00AM