IF WE KNOW IT'S AVAILABLE, WE HAVE IT -- USE TRIS
This paper describes the organization and composition of the Transportation Research Information Services (TRIS) and its computer based document surrogate storage and retrieval services. Operated by the Transportation Research Board, TRIS acquires information from sources worldwide that are identified in the paper. The several subfiles which comprise TRIS, including the University Transportation Library (TLIB) subfile are named, and their size, modal orientation and current activities are described. The subject areas covered by the respective subfiles are listed, and the commonality of certain subject areas among different subfiles is noted. The two types of information stored in TRIS, namely, summaries of ongoing research projects and abstracts of published works are described, and TRIS products and services, including their subject content, frequency of usage, bulk and costs are stated. Emphasis is placed on the availability of information retrieval from TRIS using telecommunications, remote terminals, on-line retrieval search techniques and offline printouts. The equipment requirements, vendor arrangements (presently DIALOG Information Services, Inc.), search time and costs are outlined. Two illustrative examples of on-line searches of the TRIS data base by TRB staff are given. Data in subfiles such as the Highway Research Information Service (HRIS) are accessible via TRIS through on-line retrieval from DIALOG, file 63. It is concluded that people can efficiently gain knowledge, avoid duplication of research effort, and save time and money by using TRIS.
- Digital Copy:
- Presented at the 65th Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board, Washington, D.C., 13-17 January 1986.
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Mobley, A B
- Publication Date: 1986-1
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 25 p.
- TRT Terms: Computers; Databases; Highways; Information dissemination; Information retrieval; Information systems; Reports; Research; Telecommunications; Transportation
- Old TRIS Terms: On line computers; Transportation research
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Planning and Forecasting; Research; Transportation (General); I10: Economics and Administration;
- Accession Number: 00458327
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, TRB
- Created Date: Sep 30 1986 12:00AM