IDENTIFICATION OF SPECIAL-USE TRUCK TRAFFIC. INTERIM REPORT
The principal objectives of this study were to identify specific special-use commodities, determine vehicular and industry characteristics in the movement of these commodities, determine the areas in the state impacted by this movement, and to develop a procedure for predicting the reduction in pavement life due to special-use truck traffic. Most of the commodities investigated were determined to need further study. Only poultry and uranium were dropped, while cotton, lignite, and iron ore will be closely scrutinized for possible elimination later. A computer program was develped as part of Project 299 to analyze the effects of oil field traffic. This program was modified for use in other special-use industries such as timber. It calculates several types of pavement distress and serviceability parameters to evaluate pavement performance under both intended use only traffic and intended plus special-use traffic.
- Research performed in cooperation with the Federal Highway Administration. Research Study Title: Identification of Special-Use Truck Traffic.
Arlington, TX United States 76011
Texas State Department of Highways & Public TransportationTransportation Planning Division, P.O. Box 5051
Austin, TX United States 78763
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Mason, J M
- Middleton, D
- Simmons, K
- BECKER, R
- Publication Date: 1985-10
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 152 p.
- TRT Terms: Commodities; Computer programs; Cotton; Evaluation; Forecasting; Freight transportation; Iron ores; Lignite; Pavement performance; Pavements; Service life; Timber; Traffic; Trucks
- Old TRIS Terms: Pavement life; Special purpose
- Subject Areas: Design; Freight Transportation; Highways; Motor Carriers; Operations and Traffic Management; Pavements; Planning and Forecasting; Society; I23: Properties of Road Surfaces;
- Accession Number: 00457696
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-TX-86-02+420-1
- Contract Numbers: Study 2-8-84-420
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Aug 31 1986 12:00AM