TRANSPORTING PEOPLE TO CENTRAL BUSINESS DISTRICTS AND SURROUNDING WORK COMPLEXES
The overall goal of the document is to establish guidelines regarding the transportation of people, with particular reference to the servicing of the central work areas of cities, in order to promote the planning and provision of adequate urban transport facilities. To achieve the goal a number of terms associated with the central areas of cities is defined, the salient characteristics of the urban transport modes are identified, the applicability of these modes in and to CBD's is determined and the existing land use, transportation and socio-political patterns in major South African cities are examined. The guidelines presented are based mainly on information gathered from the literature.
Land Transport Directorate, South AfricaPlanning Division
Pretoria, South Africa
- Stander, H J
- Publication Date: 1985
- Pagination: 166 p.
- TRT Terms: Central business districts; Guidelines; Land use; Modal analysis; Modal split; Politics; Public transit; Social factors; Transportation planning; Urban areas; Urban transportation; Work trips
- Subject Areas: Economics; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Society; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00457588
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: PG-2/84
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 31 1986 12:00AM