TRANSPORTATION MANAGEMENT FOR CORRIDORS AND ACTIVITY CENTERS: OPPORTUNITIES AND EXPERIENCES. FINAL REPORT
This report has two sections: Transportation Management for Corridors, and Transportation Management for Activity Centers. Case studies are the focus of each section with selections intended to be practical and capable of increasing efficiency. The Corridors section presents opportunities and experiences for efficiently managing the movement of people and goods within both freeway and arterial travel corridors. These actions include preferential treatment for high occupancy vehicles, improved traffic signal coordination, fringe and corridor parking facilities, enhanced transit service and ridesharing programs. Experiences may involve an individual action or combination of several actions. Methods of alleviating traffic impacts of major highway reconstruction are included. The Activity Centers section involves opportunities and experiences for major urban concentrations such as the central business district and major developments in suburban areas. Activity Centers as major trip generators can include locations for employment, retail, commercial or special event activities. These actions involve traffic engineering, signal improvement programs, parking management, pedestrian and transit malls to encourage transit use and facilitate pedestrian movement, transit service improvement programs, and employer-based ridesharing programs.
- Record URL:
Federal Highway AdministrationOffice of Planning, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1986-5
- Pagination: 51 p.
- TRT Terms: Arterial highways; Case studies; Central business districts; Corridors; Cost effectiveness; High occupancy vehicles; Park and ride; Parking facilities; Public transit; Ridesharing; Traffic signals; Transportation system management
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Economics; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Society; Terminals and Facilities; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00457375
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-I-86-21
- Files: NTL, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 31 1988 12:00AM