STRATEGIC HIGHWAY RESEARCH PROGRAM: RESEARCH PLANS. TECHNICAL RESEARCH AREA 6: SNOW AND ICE CONTROL ON HIGHWAYS AND BRIDGES
A research plan is presented which has as its primary objective the reduction of the dependence on environmentally undesirable deicing chemicals. Reducing the quantity of deicing chemicals applied to the nation's highways can be accomplished by the development of innovative products and techniques and the incorporation of some existing sophisticated technology in snow and ice control organizations. The principal approach to achieving this is the development of disbonding ice from pavements, or preventing the bond from developing. Fundamental studies of bond formation and prevention are proposed as the most promising and cost-effective initial attacks on the problem rather than pursuing the largely empirical approaches of past research on snow and ice control. These fundamental studies will provide the background for developing pavement modifications to reduce or eliminate ice adhesion. Increased reliance on physical methods will require improvements in the backbone of the snow and ice control organization: the displacement plow and its cutting edge. Research is also proposed to improve control of snow and ice removal operations by providing management with real-time information on pavement and weather conditions over the entire system, improving storm warning capabilities and timeliness, and developing a communications system to ensure rapid and thorough response to changing conditions.
- Digital Copy:
- This report is contained in a volume (TRIS accession number 457152) which also includes separate sections of detailed planning for research on asphalt properties, long-term pavement performance, maintenance effectiveness, bridge component protection, and cement and concrete (TRIS accession numbers 457153, 457154, 457155, 457156, and 457157, respectively), as well as an overview and integration report (TRIS accession number 457151).
Hanover, NH United States 03755-1290
Washington, DC United States 20590
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Publication Date: 1986-1
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 37 p.
- TRT Terms: Adhesion; Alternatives analysis; Deicing chemicals; Reduction (Chemistry); Snow and ice control; Snowplows
- Identifier Terms: Strategic Highway Research Program
- Old TRIS Terms: Reduction; Substitutes
- Subject Areas: Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Vehicles and Equipment; I62: Winter Maintenance;
- Accession Number: 00457158
- Record Type: Publication
- Contract Numbers: 20-20(8)
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 27 2004 9:40PM