EFFECTS OF ROAD SAFETY MEASURES IN URBAN AREAS IN THE NETHERLANDS
In two urban areas in The Netherlands, each covering a surface of about a hundred hectares, a demonstration project of traffic measures was carried out; these areas were redivided and redesigned with the aims: (a) of better separating traffic zones and residential areas; (b) within the residential areas, of diverting through-traffic (countermeasure type 1), reducing the speed of the remaining traffic (type 2), and increasing environmental amenity (type 3, "woonerf"); and (c) within the traffic area, of organizing safe and speedy traffic for all types of road-users, by separating the different kinds of traffic, and by making provisions for pedestrians, cyclists and mopeds. A before-and-after research study has been carried out to examine the effects of the countermeasures on traffic safety, traffic flows, environmental protection and socio-economic aspects. This paper reports on the traffic safety part of the study, in which changes in accidents, behaviour and experience have been considered.
- Contribution to: Biecheler M.B.; Lacombe, C. and Muehlrad, N. (ed.). "Evaluation 85", International Meeting on the Evaluation of local traffic safety measures, Paris, 20-23 Mai 1985, Tome 1, pp 168-183. ONSER, Paris, 1985.
The Hague, Netherlands 2594 AW
- JANSSEN, STM
- Publication Date: 1985
- Features: Figures; References;
- Pagination: 26 p.
- TRT Terms: Before and after studies; Behavior; Countermeasures; Demonstration projects; Environmental protection; Highway traffic control; Measures of effectiveness; Safety; Socioeconomic factors; Speed control; Traffic crashes; Traffic diversion; Traffic flow; Traffic safety; Urban areas
- Uncontrolled Terms: Effectiveness; Traffic segregation
- Subject Areas: Design; Economics; Environment; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Safety and Human Factors; Society;
- Accession Number: 00453181
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: R-85-11, HS-039 346
- Files: HSL, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 28 1986 12:00AM