TRANSIT DATA COLLECTION DESIGN MANUAL
This study develops comprehensive, statistically-based data collection programs that will enable transit operators to collect in a cost-effective manner the passenger-related operations data that they need. The various stages of such a collection program from a baseline data collection phase through a plan for monitoring and updating the data are described. Part I, the first 7 chapters, provides a framework for the step-by-step program design procedures which are presented in an instruction/example format in Part II (Chapters 8 and 9). Topics of the Chapters: 1. Introduction; 2. Service-related data needs of typical transit system; 3. Data collection techniques; 4. Overview of the process of designing a data collection program; 5. The competing forces behind a need for sampling; 6. Tables and formulas for determining sample size necessary to achieve a desired accuracy level; 7. Design of sampling plans to meet a given set of sampling requirements; 8. Overall design procedure for a data collection program from the baseline phase through the monitoring and updating; 9. Procedure of scheduling checkers and other data collection activities.
- This report, a major revision of the 1981 report, Bus Transit Monitoring Manual, is intended to replace the earlier work. Testing of the original assumptions has led to simplification of some of the recommended procedures and techniques.
Multisystems, Incorporated1050 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA United States 02138
Urban Mass Transportation AdministrationOffice of Planning, 400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1985-6
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 275 p.
- TRT Terms: Data collection; Level of service; Origin and destination; Passive restraint systems; Revenues; Ridership; Running time; Sampling; Statistical analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Passive protection devices
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Data and Information Technology; Finance; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00452518
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-I-85-38, UMTA-IT-09-9008-85-1
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 31 2003 12:00AM