MINORITY PARTICIPATION IN THE REGULATED MOTOR CARRIER INDUSTRY
This is a report of research conducted to examine the participation of minorities in the regulated motor carrier industry. Levels of participation in the trucking industry have been directly linked to the regulatory policies of the industry as well as managerial expertise. The benefits of relatively low capital investment have been negated in the past because of entry policies. Time-consuming, costly, and uneven regulatory procedures have proven especially difficult for economically disadvantaged individuals and minority firms. Levels of participation, while improving, still provide a picture of underrepresentation of employment patterns and meaningful carrier success. This research examined the problems of minority participation from both an employment standpoint as well as from the view of minority-owned carrier operations. The Motor Carrier Act of 1980, combined with liberalization of the law concerning entry, has allowed for an improvement in the patterns of ownership in minority carriers. However, when compared to non-minority carriers with similar characteristics, and even other minority-owned businesses the rate of participation and success has not been proportional for minority-owned carriers.
University of North Florida, JacksonvilleDepartment of Mechanical Engineering
4567 St. John's Bluff Road, South
Jacksonville, FL United States 32224-2645
Office of the Secretary of TransportationUniversity Research Office, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Smith, J A
- Horn, K H
- JENNINGS, K M
- Publication Date: 1984-6
- Pagination: 355 p.
- TRT Terms: Hiring policies; Improvements; Minorities; Motor carriers; Ownership; Proportion; Regulatory reform; Research projects
- Identifier Terms: U.S. Department of Transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Owners
- Old TRIS Terms: Ost university research
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Motor Carriers; Public Transportation; Research;
- Accession Number: 00451480
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT/OST/P034/85-022 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-DTRS5680-C-00023
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Nov 30 1985 12:00AM