ORGANIZATION AND MANAGEMENT OF PUBLIC TRANSPORT PROJECTS
Transit development projects are undertaken to help satisfy escalating transportation needs in modern cities. The projects address an array of technical, social, and environmental considerations. Most become significant factors in shaping cities for the future. Each project tends to be unique and complex; some are time consuming and expensive. Several cities have recently undertaken major new transit systems. Other cities have completed major improvements to existing system. Both pose major technical and management challenges for the engineering profession. There are unique management and organizational features to each transit project. Understanding the common and unique characteristics for certain projects can help identify successful management approaches. Rpresentative management issues may involve methods to procure engineering services, construction contract packaging, or communication methods within the design team. The papers included in this publication highlight current and recently completed transit projects. Topics include budget and schedule control, decisions and approvals, internal communication, staffing, quality assurance, and project organization. The papers illustrate the need for sound organizational and management practices throughout all phases of project development. They also illustrate that different management methods can be adapted to the specifics of an individual project.
- Proceedings of the Specialty Conference.
New York, NY United States 10017-2398
- Publication Date: 1985
- Pagination: 332 p.
- TRT Terms: Deterioration; Driver rehabilitation; Financing; Fleet management; Inventory; Legislation; Planning; Policy; Public transit; Rail transit facilities
- Uncontrolled Terms: Rehabilitation
- Old TRIS Terms: Fleet planning; Government policies
- Subject Areas: Construction; Freight Transportation; Law; Planning and Forecasting; Policy; Public Transportation; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00451126
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 30 1985 12:00AM