PORTABLE MICROCOMPUTERS IN TRANSPORTATION DATA COLLECTION
Current research at the University of Massachusetts focuses on the usefulness of portable computers for operator-assisted data collection in a variety of traffic analysis, transportation planning, and transit planning activities. The objectives of this project are: 1) to identify and examine existing electronic devices and techniques in use or capable of being used for automated data collection by transportation planning, traffic engineering, and transit agencies; 2) to review the related electronic equipment used in conjunction with the collection device and the functional inter-relationship among these system components--this included the examination of alternative methods to automatically transfer collected data to a larger computer for more extensive processing and analysis; and 3) to match devices with the typical functions of transportation planners and engineers--Epson HX-20 was field tested for automated collection of intersection vehicular turning movements, license plate numbers, vehicle classification/types, and roadside/transit load checks. The inexpensive, commercially available lap-size portable computer--Epson HX 20--was selected for testing because it was the least expensive and included a built-in printer, a cassette tape, and a 20 column by 4-line screen. Although not a fully automated approach, the use of an operator-assisted portable computer as an electronic clipboard represents a simple, affordable alternative for improving the accuracy and timeliness of field data collection while reducing labor requirements and costs. The study reports that there was no major problems encountered in the testing of the Epson HX-20 hardware or in the design and testing of software. This approach represent an effective and affordable alternative for data collection.
University of Massachusetts, AmherstDepartment of Civil and Environmental Engineering
130 Natural Resources Road
Amherst, MA United States 01003
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Collure, J
- Publication Date: 1984-12
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 79 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Cost effectiveness; Data collection; Management; Microcomputers; Planning; Portable equipment; Research; Traffic; Transportation
- Identifier Terms: U.S. Department of Transportation; Urban Mass Transportation Act
- Uncontrolled Terms: Traffic analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Management planning; Ost university research; Transportation research; Umta section 6
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Research; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00450497
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-MA-06-0165-85-1Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: UMTA-MA-06-0165
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Nov 30 1985 12:00AM