MATERIALS RESEARCH IN BRITISH RAILWAYS
Two particular engineering applications of composite materials have been described in some detail, namely the use of CFRP in lightweight axle units and of CFRM in improved axle journal bearings. In addition the authors discuss problems with the selection of materials currently being encountered in the development of a new generation of secondary electric traction batteries. These examples have allowed the changing role of materials development in railway engineering to be outlined.
- Refern, BAW
- Waldron, GWJ
- Publication Date: 1974-7
- Pagination: 6 p.
- Metallurgist and Materials Technologist
- Publisher: Institution of Metallurgists
- TRT Terms: Composite materials; Fiber reinforced plastics; Journal boxes; Materials science; Plastics; Storage batteries
- Subject Areas: Energy; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00083938
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: British Railways
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 2 1975 12:00AM