A REPORT TO THE MASSACHUSETTS SPECIAL COMMISSION ON HIGHWAYS
In an attempt to improve the delivery of highway services in Massachusetts, a study was accomplished to make preliminary recommendations concerning inconsistencies or overlaps in jurisdictional and functional responsibilities for the highway network, thee overall organization structure, and personnel and staffing needs. Four basic areas were analyzed: the street- and highway network; highway funding; organization; and personnel. Most of the recommendations require additional study and evaluation as well as additional funds to be effectively implemented. The study recommends that jurisdictional control of the street- and highway network be restructured to place responsibility for local roads at the local government level, andd major and minor arterials at state level. Recommendations regarding other roads are also made. A new and simplified organization of the Massachusetts Department of Public Works, Executive Office of Transportation and Construction is also recommended. It is recommended that modern management and communication techniques be used at all levels of management, and that a personnel planning system be established to address the development of managerial talent- to replace top-management as attrition takes place. top-management as attrition takes place.
Byrd, Tallamy, MacDonald & Lewis2921 Telestar Court
Falls Church, VA United States 22042
- Publication Date: 1982
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 80 p.
- TRT Terms: Administration; Arrows (Signals); Barriers (Roads); Crash cushions; Culverts; Driving; Finance; Financing; Handling characteristics; Highway operations; Local government; Mailboxes; Overpasses; Personnel; Railroad grade crossings; Retrofitting; Safety equipment; Signs; State government; Street lighting; Streets; Traffic control; Variable message signs
- Uncontrolled Terms: Barriers; Highway administration
- Old TRIS Terms: Arrow (Traffic control); Attenuators; Chevron signs; Local street; Traffic control systems
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Bridges and other structures; Design; Economics; Finance; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors; Society; I85: Safety Devices used in Transport Infrastructure;
- Accession Number: 00450005
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 27 2004 8:55PM