LABORATORY CONTROL OF BITUMINOUS BOUND BASES AND PREMIX SURFACES
With the rapid increase of traffic in South Africa more use is being mode of bituminous bound bases and dense graded premix surfacing. This paper deals briefly with recommended procedure to determine the most suitable bituminous bound base and premix surfacing mixes, making due allowance for the density and nature of traffic and the availability of material within an economical distance. Requirements are given for laboratory control during the delivery of the aggregates to the mixing site, the manufacture of the bituminous materials, and the paving and compaction of these layers. The author suggests that the specification should make provision for the contractor to perform the bulk of the field laboratory tests and that the controlling authority should carry out the preliminary investigations and sufficient tests during construction to check the reliability of the contractors test procedures and results. /TRRL/
- Conference held on July 28 - Aug. 1, 1969.
- Holzbach, W A
- Publication Date: 1969-7
- Features: Figures; References;
- Pagination: 10 p.
- Volume: 1
- TRT Terms: Aggregates; Bituminous bases; Bituminous mixtures; Compaction; Laboratory tests; Manufacturing; Mix design; Premixing; Quality control; Surfacing; Transportation
- Subject Areas: Pavements; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00081745
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport and Road Research Laboratory (TRRL)
- Files: ITRD, TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 22 1975 12:00AM