THE ROLE OF ELECTRONIC COMPUTERS USED IN MARSHALLING YARDS IN THE CENTRALISED MANAGEMENT OF GOODS TRAFFIC ON THE S.N.C.B.
LE ROLE DES CALCULATEURS ELECTRONIQUES DES GARES TRIAGES DANS LA GESTION CENTRALISEE DU TRAFFIC DES MARCHANDISES DE AL S.N.C.B.
The above article is limited to an explanation of the manner in which the S.N.C.B. proposes to introduce modern methods of management into the "operating" sub-section, and describes the initial practical experiments carried out. After having explained the general organization of the "operating" sub-section, the author examines the technical equipment used in the different yards (loading and unloading depots, and marshalling and train-formation yards), and provides a description of the computers used in marshalling yards, together with details of their characteristics; he then explains fully the part played by computers in the organization of these yards, as well as the arrangements made in order to ensure the dependability of the system. Finally, he reaches conclusions in regard to the introduction of the centralized management of goods traffic on the S.N.C.B.
International Railway Congress Association17-21 rue de Louvrain
1000 Brussels, Belgium
- Gochet, M
- Publication Date: 1969
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: p. 35-60
- Issue Number: 2
- TRT Terms: Classification yards; Cybernetics; Freight traffic; Railroad terminals; Railroad yards
- Identifier Terms: Societe Nationale des Chemins de Fer Belges
- Old TRIS Terms: Centralized management
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Freight Transportation; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00072977
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Association of American Railroads
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 6 1976 12:00AM