PRELIMINARY SPECIFICATION FOR CONCRETE CROSS TIES (AND FASTENINGS)
This specification is intended to provide necessary guidance in the design, manufacture and use of concrete tie railroad track systems and their components. The specification contains minimum performance requirements of components of concrete tie railway track based on a variety of permissible tie spacings and ballast depths. Track constructed of tie and fastener components meeting the specifications applicable to the anticipated usage should be expected to give satisfactory performance under current AAR-approved maximum axle loads. The specification covers materials, physical dimensions, and structural strength of prestressed monoblock and prestressed and conventionally reinforced two-block concrete ties. In addition, longitudinal and lateral load restraint requirements as well as the electrical performance of rail fastener and tie combinations are given. Laboratory tests for the determination of the suitability of new designs are specified, as are necessary quality-control procedures during manufacture. The specification does not cover techniques nor equipment for the manufacture of concrete ties or fastenings. Where current specifications or recommended practices of other technical societies, such as the American Society for Testing and Materials or the American Concrete Institute, are appropriate, they are made part of this specification.
- This abstract is also contained in "A Bibliography on the Design and Performance of Rail Track Structures", September 1974, RRIS #072794, which was prepared for the Urban Mass Transportation Administration.
American Railway Engineering Association59 East Van Buren Street
Chicago, IL USA 60605
- Publication Date: 1971-10
- Pagination: p. 99-140
- AREA BULLETIN
- Issue Number: 634
- Publisher: American Railway Engineering Association
- TRT Terms: Concrete; Concrete ties; Fastenings; Prestressed concrete ties; Railroad ties; Specifications; Track components
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00072826
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 11 1976 12:00AM