AUTOMOTIVE HEADLAMP AIMING - INTENTIONS AND RESULTS
Problems encountered on the state level in enforcing regulations regarding the accurate aiming of motor vehicle headlamps are outlined. State regulations and their enforcement vary throughout the United States. The state of Virginia has taken a number of steps to ensure that the headlamps on vehicles operating within the state are the best possible: training and retraining of inspectors; improved supervision of the inspection process; adaptation of the aiming tolerances allowed in SAE J599, Lighting Inspection Code; and a constant awareness that state officials must keep up to date with changes in the technology and engineering of lighting devices.
- Presented at International Automotive Engineering Congress, Detroit, 8-12 January 1973. Abstract published in Highway Safety Literature, HS-73-12, 29 June 1973, p 16.
Virginia State Police,
- Terry, R M
- Publication Date: 1973-1
- TRT Terms: Education; Headlamps; Inspection; Inspectors; Laws; Lighting equipment; Motor vehicles; Vehicle lighting
- Old TRIS Terms: Aiming; Motor vehicle laws & regulations
- Subject Areas: Highways; Law; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00081488
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Highway Safety Literature
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE-730007 Conf Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 6 1975 12:00AM