ARE SCHEDULED COMPONENT OVERHAULS NECESSARY
Classic reliability theory holds that a component's reliability characteristics include wear-out. Regulations governing overhaul time limits assume, therefore, that scheduled component overhauls are good preventive maintenance when done before wearout has gone too far. This paper disputes current practice and holds that scheduled component overhauls are almost never justified. This position is supported by illustrations from four special maintenance programmes currently in use at United Air Lines.
- Hussey, P A
- Thomas, S G
- Publication Date: 1965
- Pagination: n.p.
- TRT Terms: Maintenance management; Rehabilitation (Maintenance)
- Old TRIS Terms: Overhauls
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00073620
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: FLIGHT TRANSPORTATION LABORATORY, MIT DEPT. OF AERONAUTICS AND ASTRONAUTICS
- Report/Paper Numbers: 320
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 5 1974 12:00AM