EFFECTS OF CURRENT STATE LICENSING, PERMIT AND FEE REQUIREMENTS ON MOTOR TRUCKS INVOLVED IN INTERSTATE COMMERCE
The study examined nonuniform state licensing and permit requirements on commercial interstate truckers as well as taxes and fees associated with those requirements. Over 750 truck drivers, were interviewed at 10 locations across the country to determine the extent to which current license, permit, tax, and fee requirements pose a trucking industry problem. Eleven motor carriers and several officials from each of nine states were also interviewed. The following areas were studied: (1) registration, fuel, and third structure tax requirements; (2) utilities commission requirements; (3) industry procedures and activities for compliance including obtaining permits, record keeping, report filing, and enforcement activities; (4) out-of-pocket costs of trucker compliance including taxes, permit costs and bond expenses; (5) differences in costs among small, medium and large fleets of trucks; (6) differences in costs among private, exempt and regulated carriers; (7) apportionment, prorating and reciprocity; and (8) the effect of a federally administered system of taxes.
Midwest Research Institute425 Volker Boulevard
Kansas City, MO USA 64110-2299
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Hutchinson, B M
- Sanders, B A
- Glauz, W D
- Publication Date: 1975-4
- Pagination: 249 p.
- TRT Terms: Attitudes; Commercial transportation; Commercial vehicles; Common carriers; Fuel consumption; Interstate commerce; Interviewing; Laws; Licenses; Motor vehicle licensing; Operating costs; Registrations; State government; Taxation; Taxes; Truck drivers; Trucking; Trucks
- Old TRIS Terms: Prorating; Truck laws & regulations
- Subject Areas: Energy; Finance; Freight Transportation; Highways; Law; Motor Carriers; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00091482
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-75- 40 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-7989
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 24 1976 12:00AM