MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING ON A JOINT PROGRAM OF EXPERIMENTATION AND EVALUATION USING AN AERONAUTICAL SATELLITE CAPABILITY BETWEEN THE UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION, FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION, THE EUROPEAN SPACE RESEARCH ORGANISATION (ESRO), AND THE GOVERNMENT OF CANADA.
An international Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) on the JOINT AEROSAT EVALUATION PROGRAM was signed by the FAA Administrator on May 9, 1974 and by the Acting Director-General of ESRO and the Canadian Ambassador to France on August 2, 1974. The MOU package includes the MOU document (18 pp.), related exchange of correspondence (4 pp.), and two integral Annexes (38 and 7 pp. each). The MOU consists of 18 articles which: define objectives and organization of major elements of the program; specify financing policies, satellite deployment, utilization of AEROSAT capability, exchange of test results, and rationale for broadening participation by other Sovereign States; and provide for MOU termination, MOU amendment, procedures for handling disputes and exemption from taxes and customs duties. The exchange of correspondence between FAA and ESRO is concerned with the meaning and scope of the MOU. The major Annex contains the AEROSAT Performance Specification, which assumes the use of L-band between satellites and aircraft. The minor Annex defines the Added Experimental Capability: this is intended to provide FAA with a direct comparison between VHF communication channels and L-band communication channels.
- International Agreement Report
Federal Aviation Administration800 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC USA 20591
- Publication Date: 1974-8-2
- Pagination: 69 p.
- TRT Terms: Air traffic; Communication devices; Federal government; International relations; L band; Navigational satellites; Satellite communication; Satellite navigation systems; Very high frequency
- Uncontrolled Terms: Agreements
- Geographic Terms: Canada; United States
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00091457
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Files: NTIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 24 1975 12:00AM